Data + Design for Development Program
Data Visualization for Social Impact
As the amount of data available increases, it is important to distill data in a way that shares the most relevant information. Moreover, data is becoming a point of reference for professional decision-making and advocacy efforts. You need to be able to present your data in a way that will be convincing to your intended stakeholders, whether they be policy-makers, citizens, or co-workers. Fortunately, there is software that helps craft data dashboards and visualizations with the ability to integrate with a variety of dynamic data sources. But bringing in the data is only part of the puzzle. There are decisions about what to visualize, what data representations are appropriate, and which design elements will speak to your intended audience.
Past and Present Data + Design for Development Program Scholars & Fellows
Recent Data + Design for Development Program Showcase
About the Program
The Data + Design for Development Program teaches you how to use software and tools, including Tableau, Power BI, Datawrapper, and Flourish to create interactive and dynamic data dashboards and visualizations. The Program teaches you how to gather and critically interpret development data related to a theme of your choice.
Important Dates & Info
Applications Open: December 18, 2021
Applications Close: January 19, 2022 (Extended by 2 Days)
Program Dates: February 1 – March 30, 2022
Benefits & Qualifications
- Basic contact information
- Curriculum vitae / resume
- Statement of Interest (maximum of 400 words)
- What are your research, thematic, and professional interests?
- What shaped your interest in learning to craft data dashboards and visualizations?
- What do you hope to learn from the Data + Design for Development Program at the Leaders of Africa Institute?
- Community Statement (maximum of 200 words)
- What do you hope to gain from being a part of the educational Leaders of Africa Institute community?
- What skills make you ready to be an active participant and contributor to the Leaders of Africa Institute community? How will your participation contribute to Leaders of Africa’s mission to bridge research and creative expression to advance equity, justice, and selfless leadership?
- How will you be able to take advantage of the events and opportunities at the Leaders of Africa Institute?