Data + Design for Development Program
Data Visualization for Social Impact
As the amount of data available increases, it is important to distill data in a way that shares the most relevant information. Moreover, data is becoming a point of reference for professional decision-making and advocacy efforts. You need to be able to present your data in a way that will be convincing to your intended stakeholders, whether they be policy-makers, citizens, or co-workers. Fortunately, there is software that helps craft data dashboards and visualizations with the ability to integrate with a variety of dynamic data sources. But bringing in the data is only part of the puzzle. There are decisions about what to visualize, what data representations are appropriate, and which design elements will speak to your intended audience.
Past and Present Data + Design for Development Program Scholars & Fellows
Recent Data + Design for Development Program Showcase
About the Program
The Data + Design for Development Program teaches you how to use software and tools, including Tableau, Power BI, Datawrapper, and Flourish to create interactive and dynamic data dashboards and visualizations. The Program teaches you how to gather and critically interpret development data related to a theme of your choice.
Important Dates & Info
Applications Open: November 7, 2022
Applications Close: January 15, 2023
Program Dates: March 1 – June 1, 2023
Live Virtual Cloud Classroom (3 hours per week) and Individual Meetings with Professors
Benefits & Qualifications
- Basic contact information
- Curriculum vitae / resume
- Statement of Interest (maximum of 500 words)
- What are your research, thematic, and professional interests?
- What shaped your interest in learning to craft data visualizations and dashboards?
- What do you hope to learn from the Data + Design for Development Program at the Leaders of Africa Institute?
- What are your career goals?
- How this program will help you meet or achieve your career and educational goals?