Research Methods Program
Exploring the important research questions of the day with advanced methods and social impact
The Research Methods Program is the flagship program of the Leaders of Africa Institute. To date, we have welcomed over 300 Scholars and Fellows over the course of five years. The Research Methods Program offers personalized mentorship, rigor and advanced methodological skills, and a supportive international research community. The program is open to all fields from public health to social science and is in a live virtual format accessible anywhere. We invite you to learn about the program and our Scholars and consider whether this just might be the opportunity to further your research career and answer the call to address some of the most pressing health, political, economic, social, and development questions. Our international and multidisciplinary research community stands ready to support each other and lead.
Upcoming Live Info Session
About the Program
The Research Methods Program also known as the Research Methods and Innovation Program is an intensive program that covers advanced quantitative and qualitative research methods. Scholars and Fellows learn how to use advanced software, including R, Python, and NVivo, and complete an impact project that comes from the research at the Institute. As part of the program, Scholars and Fellows have the opportunity to participate in the Research Accelerator that provides media, tech, and professional support to all Scholars accepted into the program. The reason why Research Methods Program Scholars get publications, grants, and recognition is that there is unbounded support from Leaders of Africa’s resources and network.
Important Dates & Info
Applications Open: February 20, 2023
Applications Close: April 10, 2023
Program Dates: April 2023 – August 2023 with Continuing Mentorship through April 2024
Live Virtual Cloud Classroom (~3 hours per week) for four months that include three separate courses:
- Research Design
- Advanced Quantitative Methods
- Survey Research, Advanced Techniques, and Design Thinking
The program also involves personal meetings with professors and an advanced methods workshop series.
Benefits & Qualifications
- Curriculum vitae/ resume (one PDF of up to 5 MB)
- Statement of Interest (1,000 words maximum). Your Statement of Interest should include:
- What are your research, thematic, and professional interests and relevant professional background?
- What shaped your interests?
- What do you hope to learn from the Research Methods Program at the Leaders of Africa Institute?
- What are your career goals?
- How will the Research Methods Program help you achieve your career and educational goals?